The Gardaí at Carrick-on-Shannon Garda station are investigating an aggravated burglary that occurred at Knocklongford, Mohill, Co. Leitrim on Friday the 4th July 2014.
Frank Costello, a 79 year old man lived here alone. He had 80% vision impaired for most of his life but in later years he was totally blind. Frank kept to a simple daily routine and was assisted by visits from a home help carer. On this day, Frank who was a keen football supporter, settled down to listen to the world cup quarter finals on the radio. During the evening he was attacked in his home. Frank was assaulted and fell to the ground, he tried to reach his mobile alarm, but was unable to do so. He lay on the floor unable to move for the night. The next morning, close to 11.45am, his carer arrived and got in through a window. She called an ambulance and Frank was taken to Sligo Regional Hospital where he remained for two months. Frank passed away on September 4th 2014.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone in the Knocklongford area on this night to come forward. The world cup quarter finals were on and people could have been visiting family/friends in the area to watch the match and may have seen something suspicious. Frank Costello’s house is at the front of this estate.
• There is a window at the front of the house and Gardaí believe the intruder gained entry through this window some time around 10pm. Gardaí are appealing to anyone who may have seen something to come forward.
• Gardaí believe the intruder could have fled on foot or to a waiting car and are appealing to anyone in the neighbouring estates to come forward.
Telephone Carrick-on-Shannon Garda Station on 0719650510
Gardaí at Bray Garda Station are investigating a fatal fire that occurred at Oldcourt Avenue, Bray, Co. Dublin on Friday 26th September 2014.
Fifty five year old David Costigan lived here with his son. David had polio as a child and was confined to a wheelchair. In the early hours of Friday morning, David was in bed asleep. His son was in his bedroom at the front of the house watching a film. He heard a noise at his bedroom window and looked out. He saw a man standing in the garden. The man was carrying a bucket. There was an explosion in the house and a fire started. Smoke filled the house as the two men attempted to get out. David’s son jumped from a back bedroom window onto bins in the back garden. David Costigan attempted to get out a window but was unable to do so. His body was removed from the house some time later.
Gardaí carried out a number of enquiries and checkpoints in the area and gathered CCTV from a number of premises. CCTV at Wurzburg Road captured at 4.18am captured lights from a vehicle, a male was seen walking on the road carrying a white bucket. He re-appears at 4.28am without the bucket. Gardaí know the car travelled in the direction of Kilbride Road and turned onto Kilbride Lane.
Gardaí are appealing to anyone with information to come forward. Gardaí are appealing to any garages that sold petrol on this date.
Telephone Bray Garda Station on 016665300
Crime prevention advice
Gardaí at Crumlin Garda Station are investigating the double murder of Edward Ward and Brian Downes at Greenhill’s Road, Walkinstown on the 5th October 2007.
Edward Ward and his wife arrived at Brian Downes house to discuss the sale of a car. They all spoke for a short time before Edward’s wife got back into the car. Edward and Brian continued to walk around the yard discussing the car. Two men on a motorbike drove past the house and did a u-turn. They drove towards the house and parked behind Edward’s car. The pillion passenger got off the bike and approached the yard. He was armed with a gun and shot Edward and Brian. Edward’s wife saw a commotion with people gathering. Edward and Brian were pronounced dead at the scene.
The motorbike drove in the direction of the Walkinstown roundabout, turning left onto Walkinstown Avenue, across the Long Mile Road & Naas Road onto Kylemore Road. They turned left before the bridge onto Bluebell Avenue, then onto Bluebell Lane before turning right onto Camac Park. The bike was recovered some weeks later on the 1st November at the 5th Lock, Grand Canal. The motorbike was a large Honda Blackbird registration number 98 MH 6672.
Edward Ward’s parents appeal for information about their son’s murder.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone with information about this double murder to come forward. Gardaí are hoping that with the passage of time, some people may now be in a position to offer assistance to the investigation.
Telephone Crumlin Garda Station on 016666200
Gardaí at Balbriggan Garda Station are investigating the murder of thirty five year old Benny Whitehouse who was shot and fatally wounded on Clonard Street, Balbriggan on Thursday the 25th September 2014.
Benny and his partner live at Ring Commons with their two young children. At 7.40am, the family woke up and prepared breakfast. The children got ready for school and the family left their home at 8.50am. They travelled towards the school, parking on Clonard Street shortly after 9am. They brought their children to the crèche and school and returned to their car. Just as they were about to clip in their seatbelts, a gunman appeared at the driver’s window and fired a number of shots at Benny. A number of people came to his aid. An ambulance arrived and administered medical assistance to him. Benny Whitehouse was pronounced dead a short time later.
The gunman fled in a dark coloured Ford Focus that was also parked on Clonard Street. This car travelled in the direction of Harry Reynolds Road, crossed the junction, continued onto Clonard Road (known locally as Clonard Hill). The car was recovered in a field nearby. It had been set alight.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone who was in the Clonard Street and Clonard Road area on the morning of the murder to come forward.
• The ford focus was fitted with a cloned registration number, 08MO2606. This car was stolen during a burglary at Palmerstown, Ballyfermot on the 15th of September 2014. The actual registration number is 09D3226. Gardaí are appealing to anyone who may have seen this vehicle in the Balbriggan area prior to the murder. Gardaí are also appealing to anyone with information in relation to the making of these registration number plates.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone with information about a second vehicle, a blue Mitsubishi Crew Cab jeep. This vehicle was also fitted with a cloned registration number, namely, 08D43932. These registration plates were taken from a vehicle parked on Victoria Street between the 6th & 7th of September 2014.
• The Mitsubishi jeep was recovered at Richardstown, Dunleer, Co. Louth on the 27th September, it had been set alight also.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone who may have seen this jeep in the Balbriggan area prior to the murder and are appealing to anyone who may have seen it after the murder to come forward.
• Gardaí believe these vehicles were in the Balbriggan area prior to the murder and are appealing to anyone who may have seen them in the area of Flemington Lane to come forward.
Telephone Balbriggan Garda Station on 01-8020510
Gardaí at Bailieboro Garda Station are investigating the murder of Gerard Daly, whose remains were found at Oristown Bog, Kells, Co. Meath on Thursday September 11th 2014.
Gerard was missing from his home at Cornaveagh, Bailieboro, Co. Cavan, since Sunday the 26th June 2011. He was formerly from Knockmore Grove in Tallaght and moved to the Bailieboro area in recent years. Gerard’s partner and her children were staying with him the weekend of his disappearance. She left at 6pm on Sunday the 26th of June 2011 and returned to her own home. On Monday the 27th of June Gerard’s partner attempted to contact him by phone. She then contacted a friend who called to Gerard’s home and discovered the house vacant with no sign of Gerard. Gerard’s partner was the last person to see him on Sunday evening, his routine would have included tending to his dogs which he kept at the house, one of the dogs was running loose and they had not been fed. The iron gates leading to the house were left open and the keys to the house were gone. Gerard’s wallet was still in his house and he did not collect his social welfare payment the following Tuesday the 28th.
Gardaí believe Gerard travelled to Oristown, Kells, Co. Meath with people known to him and are appealing to anyone with information about this investigation to come forward.
Telephone Bailieboro Garda Station on 0429694570