Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.

Murder of Charlie Self on the 21/1/82

The Gardaí at Dun Laoighaire Garda Station are investigating the murder of Charlie Self who was fatally stabbed in his home at Brighton Avenue in 1982.

On the 21st January at 8.50am Charlie Self’s body was found in his home by his house mate on Brighton Avenue, Monkstown, Co Dublin. He had been stabbed multiple times. He was 32 years old. (DOB: 14.02.1949).

On the night of Wednesday, the 20th January 1982 Charlie was socialising in Dublin City Centre. He was seen in The Bailey Bar at approx 8.30pm leaving at approx 9pm. He was then seen in the South William Public House where he remained until approx 10.30pm.

He then went to Bartley Dunne’s pub on Stephens Street Lower (since knocked down and replaced by Break for the Border) where he remained with five friends until approx 11.30pm.

He left the pub at approx 11.30pm and went alone to the Hot Pot Cafe on Burgh Quay. He ordered food to take away, he chatted to people in the queue and left the cafe at approx 12.05am. Shortly after 12.05am he was seen by witnesses outside public toilets on Burgh Quay where he was seen talking to two men.

The next sighting of Charlie was at approx 12.20am when he got a taxi from the Taxi Rank at Eden Quay with another unidentified male. The taxi arrived at Charlie’s home in Brighton Avenue at approx 12.40am where both passengers left the taxi.

During that night Charlie’s housemate was awoken at 2am by a conversation in the house. He woke again when a man opened his door and looked into his bedroom at an unknown time.

Charlie’s neighbour also claims to have been woken up by the sound of things being moved around in Charlie’s garden. When she heard this noise she looked out her window and saw a man climbing over Charlie’s wall and heard a female voice saying the words “Would you mind?”

At 8.50am the next morning 21st of January Charlie’s body was found in his house at the bottom of the stairs by the door leading to the courtyard.


• Gardaí are looking for anyone who may have seen Charlie that night, in particular anyone that was in the Hot Pot Cafe on Burgh Quay.

• The two men that were seen talking to Charlie outside the public toilets on Burgh Quay and the man who joined him in the taxi were never identified. Garda wish to speak to these men.

• It has been 35 years since the murder of Charlie Self; Gardaí realise that it was a “different Ireland” at the time, in that homosexuality was illegal and that some people may have been afraid to come forward. They want to reassure anyone thinking about coming forward now, that they will be treated with sensitivity. 

Gardaí at Dun Laoghaire Garda Station are investigating     telephone 016665000