Our website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to collect information about how you use this site to improve our service to you. By not accepting cookies some elements of the site, such as video, will not work. Please visit our Cookie Policy page for more information on how we use cookies.

Traffic matters

I’ve been involved in a road traffic collision. What should I do?

First and foremost, if another person is hurt or has a suspected injury, make sure they are attended to and if necessary, call the emergency services on 999/112.

There are various types of road traffic collisions, ranging from material damage only to fatal collisions. Not every road incident may necessitate calling the Gardaí to the scene. Clearly for serious incidents or one where you suspect an offence has been disclosed, the Gardaí should be called on 999/112.

If you are involved in an road traffic collision, you must stop your vehicle and remain at the scene for a reasonable time. If anyone is injured or appears to need assistance, the driver of the vehicle must offer assistance. If vehicles are blocking the roadway or posing a danger to other road users, the roadway should be marked and the vehicle should then be removed as soon as possible.

If you are asked by a Garda, you must give your name and address, the address where the vehicle is kept, the name and address of the vehicle owner, the vehicle’s registration number and evidence of insurance, such as the name of your insurance company or a disc or motor insurance certificate. If there is no Garda at the scene, you must give this information to any person involved in the crash or, if requested, to an independent witness.

If you or another person is injured and there is no Garda at the scene, the accident must be reported to the nearest Garda station. If you fail to comply with the above requirements, with the intent of escaping civil or criminal liability, in situations where:

  • you know someone has been injured and needs medical attention, or
  • you know someone has been killed, or are reckless as to that fact, you may be convicted and receive a fine of up to €20,000 or a prison term of up to 10 years.

If the accident damages property only, and there is a Garda in the immediate vicinity, you must report it to the Garda. If there is no Garda available, you must provide this information to the owner or the person in charge of the property. If, for any reason, neither a Garda nor the owner is immediately available, you must give all relevant information at a Garda station as soon as reasonably possible. 

I’ve arrived at the scene of an accident. What’s the best thing to do?


  • Do remain calm.
  • Do switch off the engine and apply the handbrake.
  • Do use a reflective advance-warning triangle if available, except on a motorway.
  • Do switch on hazard lights and parking lights.
  • Do make sure you are safe as your try to help others.
  • Do make sure others are safe.
  • Do keep injured people warm by placing blankets, rugs or coats around them.
  • Do organise bystanders to warn oncoming traffic from both directions if this has already not been done. Be careful at night by giving people giving help are visible by wearing reflective armbands or bright torches or carrying lit torches.
  • Do call for help. Contact the emergency services on 999 or 112.


  • Don‘t Panic. Assess the situation before taking action.
  • Don’t stay at the scene if there are enough people helping and keeping it under control.
  • Don’t get injured yourself – park your vehicle safely out of the way.
  • Don’t move an injured person unless there is a risk of fire or of the vehicle turning over.
  • Don‘t attempt to lift a car off an injured person without getting help.
  • Don‘t remove helmets from motorcyclists. Neck injuries are common in motorcycle collisions, and any attempt by inexperienced people to remove the helmet may leave the injured person paralysed from the neck down.
  • Don‘t allow anyone to smoke at, or close to, the scene.
  • Don‘t give an injured person anything to eat or drink at the scene.

For more information, check out the Road Safety Authority’s ‘Rules of the Road’   here. 

Where can I access information about casualties on the road and Garda enforcement activities?

Click here to view our regularly updated Traffic Statistics page with additional information on enforcement activity around the country.

At an accident, what does a Forensic Collision Investigator do?

A forensic collision investigator (FCI) is a Garda member trained to forensically reconstruct a road traffic collision. They are based nationwide and are called to the scene of fatal collisions, or serious injury collisions likely to result in a fatality. They assist the investigating team in ascertaining the cause of the collision. They have been in operation since 2006 (double check) and are an invaluable resource in collision investigation. 

Where do I apply for a driver licence?

You can apply for your National Driving Licence here. 

My car needs an NCT. Where can I book it in?

All private cars over 4 years old by law require a valid NCT certificate. Log onto ncts.ie for all information regarding the NCT system and to book your test online. 

I’ve received a Fixed Charge Notice in the post, what can I do?

Check out our Frequently Asked Questions section on FCNs here for all the information you need. 

Where are safety cameras located?

For the list of speed enforcement zones and more information, click here. 

What is drug driving and where can I get more information on it?

Drug driving is driving under the influence of illicit drugs and/or the abuse of prescription drugs. Drug driving not only puts the driver at risk but also passengers and others who share the road. Even a small amount of certain drugs can seriously affect a driver’s motor skills, balance and co-ordination, perception, attention, reaction time, and judgment on the roads. Check out this information leaflet for Frequently Asked Questions on how preliminary drug testing works.

What road offences attract penalty points?

All the information you need on penalty points is available on www.penaltypoints.ie 

I’ve witnessed a motorist driving dangerously. How do I report it?

Either report it to your local Garda station or alert Traffic Watch on 0818 205 805. 

Who else do the Gardai work with to keep our roads safe?

The Gardaí work with a range of partners including the Road Safety Authority, the Health and Safety Authority, County Councils, Local Authorities and other road safety stakeholders. 

I’m an employer and my employees travel a lot for work. What more can I do to ensure they are safe on the roads?

Check out www.drivingforwork.ie for information, advice and practical tips on protecting your employees while travelling. 

Where can I get advice on safe driving in bad weather conditions?

The Garda’s winter-ready campaign has plenty of road safety advice and tips for drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and others who will be using the road. Find out more here. 

Where can I find Garda traffic managements plans in place for major events?