We use cookies on this website. By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device.

Appeal concerning fatal fire in Cork

Gardai at Blackrock in Cork who are investigating the circumstances surrounding a fatal fire at a house at Nutley Avenue, Mahon, Cork City wish to appeal to the public for their assistance.

They are interested in talking to a number of possible witnesses who may be able to assist with the investigation. Two separate males were seen in the Rope Walk area of Blackrock, Cork between 2.00am and 3.00am on Sunday 24th April 2011.  The first described as wearing a hoodie-type top with the hood pulled over his head and the second described as being stripped to the waist (not wearing clothing on his upper body). In addition Gardai would like to talk to a middle aged-couple seen walking on Nutley Road towards Ringmahon Road at approximately 3.00am on Sunday 24th April 2011.

Gardai would also like to talk to the driver/passenger(s) of a silver/light coloured Toyota Avensis estate which may have been a taxi or hackney and was seen in the Blackrock Road/Convent Avenue area at approximately 2.50am on Sunday 24th April 2011.

Gardai are also appealing to anyone who was at the scene of the fire and may have recorded footage on their mobile phone/camcorder etc to contact them.

Witnesses who were in the locations mentioned or who can assist with this investigation are asked to contact the  Incident Room at Anglesea Street at 021 4522000, The Garda Confidential Telephone Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station.

Previous press release listed below refers.

Garda Press Office.

16:35hrs 27/04/11

Gardaí at Blackrock in Cork are investigating the circumstances surrounding a fatal fire at a house at Nutley Avenue, Mahon, Cork City.

The fire was discovered at approximately 3.15am this morning 24/4/11. There were eight people in the house, six managed to escape but two persons (25 year old woman and a 5 year old boy) were trapped inside the building. They were recovered by the Fire Service and taken to Cork University Hospital where they were pronounced dead a short time later.

The other occupants of the house were uninjured.

The scene of the fire will be technically examined later this morning.

Garda Press Office

24/4/11   7.45am