· 903 new safety camera zones from 06:00 on Monday 17th February
· A total of 1,322 safety camera zones nationwide
· Safety cameras are proven life savers
Further to the press release issued on 10th February 2020 regarding the expansion of GoSafe zones, and following an updated collision analysis, An Garda Síochána wish to remind road users that the 903 new speed enforcement zones will operate effective from 06:00 on Monday 17th February 2020.
419 existing zones will continue to operate bringing the overall total to 1,322 zones.
The objective of the review was to take a proactive approach in the prevention of fatalities and life changing injuries by identifying ‘GoSafe’ monitoring locations and in particular areas not currently being monitored by ‘GoSafe’ where collisions occurred.
For example in 2019 Q1, 85% of fatalities occurred outside GoSafe zones. New locations were selected using data available examining fatal & serious injury collision locations.
Superintendent Tony Lonergan of the Garda National Roads Policing Bureau said:-
"We wish to remind road users that 903 new zones will become effective from 06.00 on the 17th February 2020, increasing the total to 1,322 zones. The location of all zones are available on the Garda website, along with the collision history and we are urging road users to become familiar with the zones.”
Superintendent Lonergan continued:-
"We urge drivers to be fully aware of the posted speed limit and drive within the speed limit for the duration of their journey. Speed kills, help save lives.”
Safety cameras are proven life savers.
They highlight the areas which carry high risk speed related collisions. It is evident from the study, Life Savers Not Revenue Raisers – Safety Cameras in Ireland: A Cost Benefit Analysis by Derek Rafferty that safety cameras are clearly and unambiguously a cost-effective road safety measure.
· Since 2011 safety cameras have prevented 71 deaths on Ireland’s roads
· Fine income covers less than half of the system’s overall operating costs
· The benefits of safety cameras outweigh their costs by more than 5 to 1
· Safety cameras are clearly and unambiguously a cost-effective road safety measure.