Update - OPERATION ‘STRATUS’ – DROGHEDA
The three males arrested on 10/5/19 have been charged in relation to this incident and are due to appear before a special sitting of Drogheda District Court today, 11/05/19, at 6pm.
Garda Press Office
A Garda Operation ‘Operation Stratus’ commenced in October 2018 in Drogheda, Louth and has resulted in significant results by local Gardaí in the Drogheda Garda District supported by wider Garda Resources in the Louth Division and National Units.
A number of incidents have been reported, including firearms offences, possession of drugs, petrol bomb incidents, criminal damage offences and general road traffic offences. To date the operation has resulted in -
• Four (4) persons before the Courts in relation to False Imprisonment in November 2018
• Four (4) persons arrested in relation to attempted murder February 2018. A file has been prepared for the DPP.
• Recovery of a Firearm (machine gun) and seizure of drugs. One (1) person before the Courts and a second person pending file to DPP.
• In excess of €270,000 cash seized in 2018.
• Recovery of three (3) loaded firearms and a quantity of drugs seized.
• Seizure of three (3) pipe bombs recovered and a quantity of drugs seized.
• Significant drugs seizure €110,000. One (1) man before the courts.
• Pipe bomb recovered and drugs seized. One (1) man before the Courts.
• Search of open ground – firearm recovered and nine pipe bombs (9) in various stages of completion recovered.
To date, 319 proactive searches have been carried out along with 870 ASU / Roads Policing checkpoints and 1253 proactive uniform & plainclothes patrols.
Speaking in Drogheda this evening Chief Superintendent Christy Mangan said:
"As Chief Superintendent in charge of the Louth Garda Division I want to assure the people of Drogheda that we will deal forcibly with the crime gangs and dismantle their criminal networks. I ask that the community in Drogheda continue to support us and I reassure them that we have a very comprehensive Operational plan in place to deal with the criminals involved”.