Photography & Mapping
Photography and Mapping Services
The Photography Section is based in Garda Headquarters, Phoenix Park at a state-of-the-art photographic laboratory. The staff of 14 caters for the demanding needs of a 21st Century Police Service.
Photographs have consistently proved to be one of the most reliable sources of evidence to the courts and bureau photographers therefore play a key role in many investigations.
The Photography Section provides:-
- A photographic record of crime scenes and relevant evidence
- Injury photography of victims in cases of assault and bodily harm
- Specialist fingerprint and footprint photography
- Photographic court exhibits and albums
- Post-mortem photography for the Coroner’s Office
- Aerial photography of scenes, including traffic accident scenes
- Photography of weapons, drugs and stolen property for exhibitions
The Mapping Section has a staff of 12 which comprises 8 Gardaí and Sergeants, 2 civilian Map Makers, a Civilian Geographical Information Systems Technician and a Civilian Administrator. Most of the work of the Mapping Section relates to criminal cases.
The Mapping Section carries out the following tasks:-
- Surveys crime scenes and prepares scaled drawings and maps for investigative purposes and various judicial fora
- Provides administrative maps for operational purposes
- Provides security maps and related services for major events and VIP visits