Garda National Protective Services Bureau (G.N.P.S.B)
The Garda National Protective Services Bureau provides advice, guidance and assistance to Gardai investigating the following:
Sexual Crime Investigation, Online Child Exploitation Investigation, Child Protection, Domestic Abuse Intervention and Investigation, Human Trafficking Investigation, Organised Prostitution Investigation, ViCLAS, Specialist Interview, Sex Offender Management, Missing Persons, Missing Persons in Care and Support for Victims of Crime. The Bureau leads the investigation in more complex cases.
The units contained within the Bureau are:
• Online Child Sexual Exploitation Unit (OnCE)
• Sexual Crime Management Unit (SCMU)
• Child Protection
• Domestic Abuse Intervention
• Sex Offender Management and Intelligence Unit (SOMIU)
• Sex Offender Risk Assessment and Management (SORAM)
• Missing Persons Bureau
• Violent Crime Linkage Analysis Service (ViCLAS)
• Human Trafficking Investigation and Coordination Unit (HTICU)
• Operation Quest (National operation targeting organised prostitution and habitual brothel keeping)
• Garda Victim Liaison Office (GVLO)
The Bureau also liaises with relevant Government Departments, State Bodies and voluntary groups, embracing the essential multi agency approach to tackling these crimes and their causes. Primary considerations in these cases are the protection and welfare of the victims, while ensuring the proper investigation of the alleged activities.