Age Card Office
National Age Card
What is the National Age Card?
A National Age Card is a “proof of age” card. Individuals aged 18 and over can apply for an age card to show that they have reached the legal age for purchasing alcohol.
The National Age Card shows:
- Your Name
- Your Date of Birth
- Your Photograph
- Relevant Security Features
The National Age Card is not an Identity Card. The card is solely for proving the holder is aged 18 or over and should not be obtained or used for any other purpose. This voluntary National Age Card scheme is provided for in the Intoxicating Liquor Act 1988 (Age Card) Regulations 2007.
There is a new on line system for applying for age cards which went live on the 5th January 2011.
Applicants can now order and pay for their Age Card online at www.agecard.ie
The new online procedure as follows:
1. Log on to www.agecard.ie and click on the "Apply Now" tab at the top of the screen.
2. Fill in your details and select your Payment option.
3. Use a Credit/Debit card or an Age Card Voucher (These can be purchased at any Post Office).
4. The Application Form will be posted to the address you have supplied.
5. Bring the Application Form together with the ID Documentation you specified on your application plus your passport photo to your Local Garda Station.
6. Sign the Application Form in the presence of the processing Garda and put the passport photo in the pocket provided on the form.
7. When the Garda is satisfied with your documentation he/she will authenticate the Application Form and forward this to the Issuing Body.
8. The Issuing body will then post your card directly to the address you provided on your Application.