Drug Related Intimidation Reporting Programme
Under the National Drugs Strategy 2009-16, which was launched in September 2009, An Garda Síochána the lead agency in respect of Action 5
Action 5 proposes to:
Develop A Framework To Provide An Appropriate Response To The Issue Of Drug Related Intimidation In The Community
The Garda National Drugs Unit and the National Family Support Network, have developed ‘the Drug Related Intimidation Reporting Programme’ to respond to the needs of drug users and family members experiencing drug related intimidation.
The Garda Commissioner has selected an Inspector in every Garda Division to respond to the issue of drug related intimidation. These Inspectors are of Management level within An Garda Síochána and have great expertise, knowledge and vast experience. They will liaise directly with their local Superintendent in relation to each individual case. Persons seeking the assistance of the Inspector in their area may contact their Inspector to arrange to meet with them either formally or informally.
An Garda Síochána in dealing with any complaint of drug related intimidation or advice sought in relation to this issue, will do so with the utmost safety and effective means in order to afford the person or family subject to the threat of the best level of security, advice and support which can be offered. Most importantly An Garda Síochána will deal with this issue in the utmost confidential and secure fashion.
An Garda Síochána will offer the following:
• Provide practical safety information
• Provide advice in relation to particular threats or instances of intimidation
• Provide information on appropriate drug support services for the individual in the family who is accruing drug debts
• Outline how to make a formal complaint, what is involved, what happens after and possible outcomes.
Drug-Related Intimidation Reporting Programme Information:
The National Family Support Network, in partnership with the Garda National Drugs Unit, and other key agencies, have developed the following resources to support the Drug Related Intimidation Programme:
• Drug Related Intimidation Reporting Programme Leaflet
• Responding to Intimidation Video *
• • Contact details for nominated Inspectors for Intimidation Programme – 2016
* This video is not hosted by An Garda Siochana
The Family Support Network
Phone: +353 (01) 8365 168
Phone: +353 (01) 874 7156