Mobile Phone & Laptop / Tablet Theft Prevention Advice
The following practical measures can help in preventing and reducing mobile phone theft
This holiday season many people will receive gifts of smart phones, laptop computers or tablet devices. An Garda Síochána’s National Crime Prevention Unit would remind people to be extra vigilant over the holidays and are pleased to offer this safety advice.
The following practical measures can help in preventing and reducing mobile phone theft;
· Register your mobile phone with your service provider.
· Take careful note of your unique 15 digit mobile phone International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number. By pressing *#06# on your phone keypad the IMEI will appear on the screen.
· Enable the PIN Security feature and keep your phone locked at all times.
· When out and about, keep your mobile phone out of public view, be streetwise and always be aware of your surroundings.
· Never leave your mobile phone behind in an unattended vehicle.
· If your mobile phone is lost or stolen, contact your mobile phone service provider immediately to suspend your service and prevent unauthorised calls being made and billed to you.
· Your provider will block your SIM card and IMEI number to prevent your phone from being used on the mobile network.
· Report the loss or theft to An Garda Síochána, providing identification numbers for your SIM card and IMEI number. This information may assist in the recovery of your mobile phone.
Laptop and Tablet Devices:
Laptop and tablet device owners should take great care of their property. It only takes a moment of distraction for a thief to take your laptop or tablet device. Along with cash, laptops and tablets are the most common items taken in burglaries.
The cost of replacing the data contained on the device can sometimes cost more than replacing the hardware itself.
For crime prevention information sheets in both English and irish please see column on the right of the page.
National Crime Prevention Unit