Message of Support for The 16 Days of Action 2013
• Commissioner Martin Callinan is happy to again support the ongoing work of Women’s Aid and other such agencies working in this difficult area, and is delighted that the topic of violence against women is being highlighted in the run up to Christmas which unfortunately is a time when incidents of domestic violence can increase.
• Commissioner Martin Callinan would also like to assure those suffering from such violence that An Garda Síochána is available to thoroughly investigate such crimes and to bring the perpetrators of such violence to justice. The support of the public and victims is essential to successfully investigate these matters. Victims can be assured that they will be dealt with in a professional and sensitive manner and in the strictest confidence. Silence protects the offender and means that the victim goes on suffering and the perpetrator is free to reoffend.
• Commissioner Martin Callinan appeals to anyone who is the victim or knows or suspects that someone they know is the victim of domestic violence to report the matter as soon as possible to the nearest Garda station or if there is an immediate danger to life ring 999 or 112 and ask for the Gardaí . For more information on reporting a crime please click Here
• Members of An Garda Síochána are in a position to provide details of the many non governmental agencies working in this area including Women’s Aid and are trained to investigate these crimes.
• Commissioner Martin Callinan is fully committed to the implementation of the National Strategy for the Prevention of Domestic, Sexual and Gender-based violence 2010-2014 and would like to thank the many organisations who support An Garda Síochána in this area of work.
• Commissioner Martin Callinan would like to thank Women’s Aid for their support in the past and wish them well in their forthcoming event.