We use cookies on this website. By using this site, you agree that we may store and access cookies on your device.

ga - I want to report a historical sexual crime. What should I do?

The Director of Public Prosecutions frequently brings prosecutions which relate to complaints of sexual offences which may have occurred some considerable time previously. In many such cases, judicial review proceedings will be taken in the High Court to prevent the prosecution from proceeding to trial on the basis that there has been an undue delay in charging the accused. Those applications are often grounded on allegations of prejudice being caused by delay, (e.g. a witness who may have been available, had the prosecution been brought sooner, has now ceased to be available).

If you wish to make a historical complaint, follow one of these steps:

Call 112/999

Call 112/99 in the case of an emergency - an emergency is any incident which requires an immediate Garda response. Examples of emergencies are a danger to life; risk of serious injury; crime in progress or about to happen; offender still at scene or has just left.

Child Sexual Abuse Freephone 

Complaints of child abuse can be made over the phone and in a confidential manner 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to 1800 555 222.

Call your local Garda Station or report in person 

You can also contact your local Garda station in person or by telephone. Details of all Garda stations are available here. You may call to the Garda station I person accompanied by a friend or a support worker from one of the many victim support groups. Details of those groups, providing both national and local services, are listed on www.cosc.ie. Cosc, the National Office for the Prevention of Domestic, Sexual and Gender-based Violence is an executive office of the Department of Justice and Equality.

Contact your local Rape Crisis Centre

Rape crisis centres throughout the country offer advice and support services to victims of rape and sexual assault. You may contact the national 24-hour helpline at 1800 77 88 88.