Since Operation Thor was launched on 2nd November 2015 domestic burglaries have fallen nationally by approximately 30%.
However as we approach the winter months householders need to be vigilant as traditionally burglaries rise in winter time.
* In winter, residential burglaries increase by 23%.
* Over 45% of residential burglaries in winter occur between 5pm and 11pm.
* In 19% of burglaries, entry is through an unsecured door or window.
* Jewellery and cash are the most common objects stolen during burglaries.
* The typical value stolen per incident in the last twelve months is €600.
* There were over 160 cases where car keys were “fished” through the letterbox in the past year.
* More incidents reported by an alarm activation were detected than not detected.
Whether you are at home or going out, remember to turn on some lights, use timer switches, lock all doors and windows, use an alarm, store keys away from windows and letter boxes and don’t store large amounts of cash or jewellery in the house.
Lock Up Light Up.
Crime Prevention advice is available here