Gardaí at Castlebar Garda Station are appealing for information in relation to the murder of 29 year old, Owen Maughan on Wednesday the 18th December 2013.
Owen and his wife Anne lived at a Halting Site nearby. They were married for eight years and had a very close relationship. Early on the morning of the 18th of December, Owen and Anne headed into town to run a few errands. Later that afternoon they went home and Anne prepared lunch. Owen left to go to a nearby service station to fill up some water canisters.
While Owen was at the service station, a grey BMW estate car drove into the forecourt. The front seat passenger shot Owen and fatally injured him. The BMW drove out of the forecourt at speed and travelled in the direction of Claremorris.
Owen was brought to hospital by ambulance but lost his fight for life that evening.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone with information about this murder to come forward.
• The BMW Estate car was stolen from the Clarion Hotel (now the Maldron Hotel) Dublin Airport, Co.Dublin on the 6th of December. Gardaí believe this vehicle was in the Dublin area for some time after this and would have refuelled a number of times. Gardaí are appealing for anyone with information to come forward.
• The registration of the car is 06G3981. The car was fitted with cloned registration plates, this number was 09D30024.
• This car travelled out the Claremorris road and was discovered two days later at Derryvohey. It had been destroyed by fire.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the area to come forward.
Castlebar Garda Station Telephone 094 9038200