The Gardaí at Naas Garda Station are investigating the murder of 47 year old Dessie Fox, who was shot dead at Healy’s Bridge, Prosperous, Co Kildare on Sunday 30th September 1990. Mr Fox from Dungannon, Co Tyrone, worked as a Course bookmaker. On the morning of 30th September at 11.15am he left his home in Dungannon. His intention was to attend a race meeting at the Curragh in Co Kildare. He drove a white 250D Mercedes, Registration number MJI 7055.
• Bush Road to Armagh city via Moy
• Carrickmacross via Keady and Castleblaney.
• Navan via Ardee, Slane
• Scene via Dunsany, Kilcock and Prosperous.
At approximately 1.20pm Dessie Fox was seen coming out of Connolly’s Newsagents shop in Prosperous Village. He had a newspaper under his arm. He then got into his car which was facing toward Dagwelds. As Dessie Fox approached Healy’s Bridge a red car was seen travelling behind.
Investigators believe that this car was a red Carina bearing registration number 90G2506. The occupants of the Carina opened fire on Mr Fox’s car causing damage near to the right rear indicator and the front left tyre, which was deflated. Two bookmakers bags located in the boot of the car were also damaged. Examination located a number of shotgun pellets.
Investigators believe that there were only two raiders in the Carina; one of them wore a puma cap which he discarded near to the scene.
Mr Fox attempted to reverse away, however his car ran off the road and was forced to stop. The raiders then caught up and as they approached fired one shot from a handgun through the open passenger door. The bullet entered the deceased’s left leg, passing through his right leg and lodging in the door. This injury proved fatal and Mr Fox died at the scene.
The raiders then stole a black leather briefcase containing cash, canvas money bag, billheads with name, Motorola cellular portable car phone and car keys. (Canvas bag and phone were later recovered).
Vehicles of interest:
• Red Carina car bearing number plates 90G2506.
• This car’s correct number is 89D25125. It was stolen from Ashfield Avenue, Ranelagh village between 2.15 and 4pm on 26th September 1990.
• Vehicle located at 12 noon on Monday 1/10/1990 in a field at Powerstown, Blanchardstown.
• Grey Mitsubishi Gallant 87 or 88 Registration with either 11 or 14, seen travelling in convoy with Red Carina at O Grady’s Filling station, Palmerstown
• Front passenger of carina seen climbing into rear seat of Gallant, wearing Puma cap
Naas Garda Station investigating Telephone 045 884300