Gardaí at Balbriggan Garda Station are investigating the murder of thirty five year old Benny Whitehouse who was shot and fatally wounded on Clonard Street, Balbriggan on Thursday the 25th September 2014.
Benny and his partner live at Ring Commons with their two young children. At 7.40am, the family woke up and prepared breakfast. The children got ready for school and the family left their home at 8.50am. They travelled towards the school, parking on Clonard Street shortly after 9am. They brought their children to the crèche and school and returned to their car. Just as they were about to clip in their seatbelts, a gunman appeared at the driver’s window and fired a number of shots at Benny. A number of people came to his aid. An ambulance arrived and administered medical assistance to him. Benny Whitehouse was pronounced dead a short time later.
The gunman fled in a dark coloured Ford Focus that was also parked on Clonard Street. This car travelled in the direction of Harry Reynolds Road, crossed the junction, continued onto Clonard Road (known locally as Clonard Hill). The car was recovered in a field nearby. It had been set alight.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone who was in the Clonard Street and Clonard Road area on the morning of the murder to come forward.
• The ford focus was fitted with a cloned registration number, 08MO2606. This car was stolen during a burglary at Palmerstown, Ballyfermot on the 15th of September 2014. The actual registration number is 09D3226. Gardaí are appealing to anyone who may have seen this vehicle in the Balbriggan area prior to the murder. Gardaí are also appealing to anyone with information in relation to the making of these registration number plates.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone with information about a second vehicle, a blue Mitsubishi Crew Cab jeep. This vehicle was also fitted with a cloned registration number, namely, 08D43932. These registration plates were taken from a vehicle parked on Victoria Street between the 6th & 7th of September 2014.
• The Mitsubishi jeep was recovered at Richardstown, Dunleer, Co. Louth on the 27th September, it had been set alight also.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone who may have seen this jeep in the Balbriggan area prior to the murder and are appealing to anyone who may have seen it after the murder to come forward.
• Gardaí believe these vehicles were in the Balbriggan area prior to the murder and are appealing to anyone who may have seen them in the area of Flemington Lane to come forward.
Telephone Balbriggan Garda Station on 01-8020510