Aggravated Burglary, Killycard, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan on the 2/11/14
The Gardaí at Carrickmacross Garda Station are investigating an Aggravated Burglary that occurred at a family home in Killycard, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan, on Sunday 2nd November 2014.
At approximately 5.15pm a Silver Vauxhall Vectra drove up Mill Hill Road and stopped just before the entrance to the house. Four men got out of this car and jumped over a fence into a field beside the house. They waited in here for a few moments before entering the garden. They attempted to gain entry via the front door. They made their way around to the back of the house and gained entry via the patio doors.
A mother was a home with her children and their cousins. The housekeeper was also there. The raiders entered the bedrooms and threatened the family. They demanded money and searched the house. One of the women was assaulted by a raider with a screwdriver.
The raiders stole cash and a number of items of property including, a black handbag, computers, cameras and several items of jewellery.
They were captured leaving on CCTV leaving the scene in the same Silver Vauxhall Vectra.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone in the vicinity of the Killycard area on the evening of the 2nd of November between the hours of 4.30 pm and 6pm to come forward.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone who may have seen these men and/or the Vauxhall Vectra in the area to come forward.
• Gardaí are anxious to talk to anyone with information regarding this crime or who may know the whereabouts of the stolen property to make contact.
Telephone Gardaí at Carrickmacross Garda Station on 0429690190
Anniversary Murder Appeal - Owen Maughan on the 18/12/14
Gardaí at Castlebar Garda station are re-appealing for information in relation to the murder of 29 year old Owen Maughan was murdered outside a petrol station on Moneen Road, Castlebar, Co Mayo on the 18th December 2013 at 3.30pm. It is the first anniversary of Owen Maughan’s murder and the Gardaí and his family are appealing to anyone with information to come forward.
Gardaí at Castlebar Garda Station on 0949038200
Assault causing harm on Camden Street, Dublin 2 on the 30/11/14
The Gardaí at Kevin Street Garda Station are investigating a serious assault that occurred in the early hours of Sunday the 30th November 2014 on Camden Street, Dublin 8.
The injured party and two friends left a nightclub on Harcourt Street at 4.25am. They walked across the Luas track in the direction of Camden Street. They crossed the road, close to the junction of Harrington Street. An altercation took place at Brady’s Pharmacy at this junction between these men and an unknown man. The injured party was assaulted and fell to the ground. Two people came to his aid but the suspect continued to assault him as he lay on the ground. The suspect then fled the scene and ran at speed down Camden Street. CCTV captured the suspect as he fled.
The injured party received serious head injuries and was taken by ambulance to hospital where he continues to receive treatment.
• The suspect is described as between 5'8” to 5'10” in height, athletic build, in his 20’s, wearing dark coloured trousers, dark jumper with a light coloured collar or shirt collar with dark shoes and spoke with a Dublin accent.
• Gardaí are appealing to taxi drivers in the Harrington Street / Camden Street area at the time of this assault that may have seen this man as he ran from Camden Street onto Harcourt Street to come forward.
• Gardaí are appealing to taxi drivers in the St.Stephan’s Green Area between 5am and 5.15am who may have collected a male matching the description of the suspect to come forward.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone with information about this assault or who may recognise the suspect from the CCTV to come forward.
Telephone Gardaí at Kevin Street Garda Station on 016669400
Missing Person - Ciara Breen
The Gardaí at Dundalk Garda Station are re-appealing for information in relation to the disappearance of seventeen year old Ciara Breen who is missing from her home since 1997.
Ciara and her mother Bernadette spent the evening of the 12th February 1997 together, having dinner at a local cafe before returning home to watch the television in their home on Bachelor’s Walk. They went to bed shortly after midnight and spoke for a few moments on Bernadette’s bed. Bernadette was due to get results of a biopsy the following day and Ciara was worried about this.
Just before 2am Bernadette awoke to discover Ciara was not in her bed. She went downstairs and looked outside on the road but there was no sign of Ciara. The front window was open which Bernadette believes Ciara left open in order to gain access to the house on her return. Ciara never returned home.
Extensive investigations were carried out at the time and a media appeal was made last month by the investigation team. This appeal led to new witnesses which Gardaí believe will assist the investigation. An anonymous letter was received and Gardaí are appealing to the author of this letter to come forward.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone with information in relation to the disappearance of Ciara Breen to come forward.
Telephone Gardaí at Dundalk Garda Station on 0429388400
Robbery from the person at Rathgar, Dublin 6 on the 23/11/14
Gardaí at Terenure Garda Station are investigating a robbery from a business man that occurred in the early hours of Sunday the 23rd November 2014.
A business man left his place of work in Rathmines at 4.35am to make a cash lodgement at a night safe of a bank in Rathgar Village. When he arrived at the bank, there was a taxi parked in front of him and what appeared to be a woman using the ATM machine. As the business man approached the night safe to lodge the money he was set upon by the person at the ATM, who Gardaí now believe was a man. He was armed with a handgun. A struggle ensued between them. As this robbery was in progress the driver of the taxi removed the business man’s car keys from his car.
The armed man got back into the taxi and the car travelled at speed from the scene. A large sum of money was stolen during this robbery.
• Gardaí are appealing to anyone who was in the Rathmines area on Saturday evening into Sunday morning and may have seen suspicious activity to come forward.
• The car used in this robbery was a Silver Hyundai i40. It was stolen on the 19th of November 2014 in Castleknock. It was fitted with a false registration number plate, 12CE1549. This car was recovered parked in a communal car park in Harold’s Cross at 4pm on Sunday the 23rd November. The keys of this car were not recovered. Gardaí are appealing to anyone who may have information in relation to this vehicle to come forward.
• The taxi roof sign was stolen on the 15th October 2014 from Blanchardstown. It was recovered on a footpath on Ferrard Road, just off Terenure Road East at 10am on Sunday the 23rd November 2014.
• Gardaí believe the man at the ATM machine was wearing a long black wig, a panama hat and women’s clothing. The second man, the driver of the taxi is described at tall and of slim build with short dark hair and a narrow face.
Telephone Gardaí at Terenure Garda Station on 016666400
Solved – Discovery of Human Remains at Inagh, Co. Galway on the 8/12/06
On the 8th December 2006 human remains were discovered by hunters shooting in the woods near Lough Inagh, in Connemara. The Garda investigation established that the remains were that of a man and that the he may have died the previous year. Extensive examinations were conducted by the Galway West Coroner and Dundee University and a DNA Profile was created. A composite picture of what the man may have looked like was created and distributed through Interpol.
Investigations led to Germany and the man’s image was released to the press and media appealing for information on his identification with particular focus in the Neumunster area. Two people came forward believing they recognised the man, one man thought it might be his brother who had travelled to Ireland in 2005.
In September 2014 DNA profiles and dental records were checked against this possible match and the man was identified as Arno Schmitz.
His brother Brent travelled to Ireland to visit the area where his brother Arno was laid to rest.
Traffic – Winter Ready
On this month’s traffic segment Garda Derek Cloughley was in studio to discuss "Impaired Driving", which is the main focus of the Christmas Enforcement Campaign running from December 2014 to January 2015.
Garda Cloughley discussed the recent legislation under the Road Traffic Act in relation to “drug driving” (the ability to perform drug impairment tests at the side of the road), plus the ability to obtain a blood sample from an unconscious or incapacitated person in a hospital
Wanted On Warrant - Colin Goggin
The Gardaí at Dun Laoghaire Garda Station are looking for information on the current whereabouts of 51 year old Colin Goggin of Foxrock, Dublin 18.
Gardaí believe he may be travelling throughout the country staying in B&B’s. There is a circuit court warrant in existence for him.
Telephone Gardaí at Dun Laoghaire Garda Station on 016665000
Wanted On Warrant - Steven Smith
The Gardaí at Dundalk Garda Station are looking for information on the current whereabouts of thirty eight year old Steven Smith. His last known address was Ashbrook in Dundalk, Co. Louth but he is currently of no fixed abode. He may be staying with friends or acquaintances. He is known to frequent Dublin and may be engaging with the homeless services in the city.
Telephone Gardaí at Dundalk Garda Station on 0429388400